Monday June 6th is the start of the 12th edition of the Portland Short Track Series and, as always, we plan to make it the most fun summer bike race series in the Northwest and judging from all the online registrations that have already come in, there are more than a few OBRA racers (and a fair amount of women, juniuor and newbie racers) who can’t wait for things to get underway!
Here are a couple updates I like to pass along:
– The updated race flyer with all the details is posted at http://www.portlandracing.com/info.html
– Like previous years, the series will run for 8 weeks – from June 6 through Aug 1 – with a mid-series break on the 4th of July, when we’ll swap our weekly dose of short track madness for a fun-filled day of MTB endurance racing at the Six Hours of Mount Hood (which will be staged on Sunday July 3).
– Race categories, age groups, and race schedule will be the same as last year, but we added a new separate category for Singlespeed Women.
– Online registration for both the series and the 6 Hours is open now, with race entry fees the same as last year.
– You can purchase your Short Track Series Pass online at http://www.portlandracing.com/series-pass-2016.html. With a series pass you will not only save time and money on race day (once you have a pass, you can just come out and race, no pre-start check-in required), but you will also enjoy a weekly priority call-up at the start of your category (in the order you have registered). To top it off, every series pass holder will receive a FREE Short Track pint glass and your name will get entered in our weekly raffle of a bunch of cool prizes (even the weeks that you end up not racing).
– You can also register online for select short track races through OBRA. Just click the register button showing next to the event on the OBRA calendar.
– While you’re at it, if you register online for the Six Hours of Mt Hood by May 31st (next Tue), you will enjoy our early-bird registration rate and save $10 off the day-of-race entry fee!
– Make sure to mark Friday June 3 on your calendar, when we’re hosting a Short Track Kick-Off & Race Plate Pick-Up Night at Hopworks Bike Bar (on N Williams Ave) from 6 to 9pm.
Our registration crew will be on-site selling series passes and single-race entries and first-time Short Track racers will enjoy a special newbie discount (Series Pass: $20 OFF/ first-race entry fee: $10 OFF), just by showing up. And for those hanging around for a beer, HUB’s $2.50 STXC Beer Special (for your first beer) will be in effect, just make sure to flash your shiny new series plate!
Alright, that’s it for now. I’ll shoot another email next week with some more updates and practical info about this year’s series. In the meantime, if you have any questions, just drop me a line!
Categories: Mountain Bike Racing